Search This Blog

September 02, 2014

How do you know you are real?

It might be a trivial question, but Descartes already answered that question back in the 17th century.
 

1 René Descartes raised what significant philosophical question, outlined in this lesson?
a. How do you determine the difference between right and wrong behavior?
b. What is the purpose of human life?
c. How do we know that we exist?
d. Is the scientific method the best way to discover truth?

2 How do most people determine truth?
a. Philosophical inquirí
b. Use of senses
c. Oral stories
d. Scientific research

3 Why can the senses be tricky to our perception?
a. Individuals can lie
b. We use our senses in our dreams
c. We need more research to determine their validity
d. Everyone has different perceptions

4 How did Descartes try to answer the question about existence?
a. He pointed to religious faith
b. He used scientific data
c. He provided an argument based upon tradition
d. He used an analogy about a demon who tries to trick your senses

5 What does the phrase "I think, therefore I am" mean?
a. I can use my brain to develop thoughts
b. I have beliefs
c. My ability to use rationality to raise questions proves I exist
d. I exist because I can use my senses

6 Descartes believes that we can achieve truth by using our rational abilities. But are rational tools limited by our own perceptions?
Source: TED

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The video is quite difficult !
Are these the answers?

1.c
2.b
3.b
4.d
5.a
L
Alicia

Unknown said...

I know it's hard, however, your answers are correct!!

How about the last question? Can you provide an answer in English?Try!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try it.

' But are rational tools limited by our own perceptions?

Yes, because our senses can confuse us . We may mistake a person for away for someone else....

Alicia

Unknown said...

"We may mistake someone in the distance for someone else."

I agree with you up to a point Alicia, but on the other hand I believe that wise people are able to find the truth no matter their perception of things. They are aware of the limitations of our senses.