Search This Blog

June 09, 2015

Giving your opinion | Macmillan

  • I think: the most usual and general way of giving your opinion:
    I think if you work hard you’ll do very well in the exam.
  • I reckon: a more informal way of giving your opinion:
    It’ll be cheaper to take the plane, I reckon.
  • In my opinion/In my view: a more formal way of giving your opinion:
    In my view, it was a big mistake not to try to buy the company last year.
  • It seems to me/All things considered: used for giving your opinion when you have thought carefully about a situation:It seems to me that John’s plans for the website are very convincing.
    All things considered, I think we were wise to cancel our flights.
  • If you ask me: used for giving an often critical opinion:
    If you ask me, both Paul and Simon are being extremely immature.
  • To be honest/To tell you the truth/To be frank: a way of giving your opinion when you know that that people may not like what you say:To tell you the truth/To be honest/To be frank, I thought the show was pretty awful.
  • Personally: used for emphasizing that you are giving your own opinion:
    Personally, I think you should apologize to your brother.
  • To my mind/As far as I’m concerned: used for giving your own opinion, when you realize that other people may not agree with you:To my mind, the way she behaved was inconsiderate.As far as I’m concerned, tennis is a much more interesting sport than football.
Source:
Life skills tip of the week: giving your opinion | Macmillan

No comments: