Search This Blog

August 19, 2014

Ways of expressing disagreement

More expressions to improve your speech:

I’m sorry, but…/Excuse me, but…/Pardon me, but…: used when politely telling someone that you do not agree with them:
Sorry/Excuse me/Pardon me, but it was never proved that he stole that car.


Absolutely not/Of course not…/Nothing of the kind! used for saying that you completely disagree with what someone has said:
‘I think I should accept the blame for the accident.’ ‘Absolutely not!/Of course not!/Nothing of the kind! There’s no way it was your fault.’


I don’t know/I take your point/That’s true, but…: used as polite ways of saying that you do not really agree with someone:
‘Peter is really unfriendly sometimes. ‘I don’t know, he’s always been very kind to me.’
‘These taxes on petrol are far too high.’ ‘Well yes, I take your point. But maybe that’ll encourage people to use their cars less.’
‘She’s a difficult person to work with.’ ‘That’s true, but she’s a really good designer.’


Speak for yourself…: an informal and sometimes impolite way of telling someone that your opinion is very different to theirs:
‘We don’t mind walking from here.’ ‘Speak for yourself! My feet are killing me!’


Don’t make me laugh/Are you kidding?/You must be joking…: informal ways of telling someone you completely disagree with them, and you think that what they have said is crazy:
‘I really think the Beatles are overrated.’ ‘Are you kidding?/Don’t make me laugh! They’re better than any of the modern bands.’


Source: Macmillan


No comments: