Search This Blog

May 01, 2013

Language tip: like and dislike | Macmillan

Other ways of saying like

Love: to like something very much. Love is also used for saying that you really care about someone: I love Italian food. ♦ When did you realize you loved her?
Adore: to like and admire someone. Adore is also used in an informal way for saying that you like something very much: I just adore their children. ♦ I simply adore smoked salmon.
Enjoy: to like doing a particular activity: I enjoy going to the opera when I get the chance.
Have a liking for: to like something specific such as an activity or a type of food or drink: I’ve developed a liking for red wine.
Be keen on: to be enthusiastic about a particular person, thing, or activity: I was always pretty keen on sport at school.
Be fond of: to like someone or something with a gentle, steady emotion that is not as strong as love: I’ve always been extremely fond of Mike, but I’d never marry him.
Prefer: to like one thing more than another: I’d prefer a house with a bigger garden.
Be crazy / mad about (informal): to like someone or something so much that you spend all your time thinking about them: She’s completely mad about basketball.
Have a weakness for: to particularly like someone or something that you know is not good for you: He’s got a weakness for anything with chocolate in it.
Have a soft spot for someone: to particularly like someone, even if they do not deserve it: I’ve got a real soft spot for James, even if he is annoying sometimes.



Other ways of saying dislike

Not like: to not have very positive feelings about someone or something. This is the most usual way of saying you dislike someone or something: I don’t really like coffee. ♦ I don’t like him – he’s too indecisive.
Not be crazy about / not be keen on (informal): used for saying that you do not like something much, especially in situations where you do not want to sound rude: I’m not crazy about that wallpaper. ♦ ‘Would you like some more?’ ‘No thanks, I’m not very keen on desserts.’
Hate: to dislike someone or something in a strong emotional way: I hate that man – he’s always criticizing people. ♦ It’s a small right-wing party that hates the idea of a multicultural society.
Sometimes also used in spoken English, as an emphatic way of saying you dislike something because it annoys you: I was just going out when the phone rang – I hate it when that happens.
Can’t stand / can’t bear: to dislike someone or something so strongly that it makes you feel angry or upset: I can’t stand all this noise! ♦ I really can’t bear the patronizing way he talks to her.
Detest / loathe: used for emphasizing that you strongly dislike someone or something, especially when you have no respect for them or regard them as morally bad: George was a man who detested all journalists. ♦ She loathed all the insincerity and evasions of her fellow politicians.

http://www.macmillandictionaryblog.com/language-tip-of-the-week-like-and-dislike

2 comments:

Andrea. said...

Very interesting, thanks a lot, and happy Labor Day!

Unknown said...

Good to spice up your vocab, right?

Have a good day!