Search This Blog

March 09, 2013

Another, other, others, the others

Hi!

These are confusing pronouns. Let's have a look at this little text: 

Three of my friends live in Boston. One is a doctor, one is a dentist, and the other doesn't have a job. The friend without a job's name is Craig. Craig needs a job. He also has another problem: he needs a new girlfriend. His last girlfriend left him because she met another man. The other man was rich and handsome. I told Craig not to worry about it; there are many other girls in the world.

Adjectives: another + singular nonspecific countable noun

  • "Let's meet another day."
  • "I'd like another piece of cake."
 other + plural or uncountable nonspecific noun

  • "Other people have problems, too." [people = plural noun]
  • "This book has other information." [information = uncountable noun]
the other + specific noun (singular, plural, countable or uncountable)
  1. "I have two brothers. One of them lives in Canada. The other brother lives in Japan."
  2. "I go to school on Monday and Thursday. I work on the other days of the week.
Pronouns: The others and others
  • I love the red jacket, the others are too small. (the other jackets)
  • She gave me one book last week and promised to bring the others on Wednesday. (The other book)
  • Some students came to the speech on Manchester, others were busy. (other students)  
  • Some people prefer a vegetarian diet, while others prefer a meat-based diet.
I'd like you to get extra practice in here:

Exercise 1: english-test
Exercise 2: to learn-english
Exercise 3: ESL quizzes

No comments: