Search This Blog

April 15, 2012

The Intouchables

I've watched this movie at the weekend and I thought it was a great comedy with good actors and music. 

Alberto once commented whether it was a comedy or drama. I think that comedies are precisily that; a sad story is dealt with humor and a happy ending. In a comedy what might turn up wrong becomes a happy ending.

Synopsis

After he becomes a quadriplegic from a paragliding accident, an aristocrat hires a young man from the projects to be his caretaker. Two worlds are going to collide and come to terms with each other to give birth to a friendship as crazy, comical and strong as it is unexpected, a unique relationship that will create sparks and make them… Untouchable.

On the other hand, in the USA the film was thought to be "offensive", "which flings about the kind of Uncle Tom racism one hopes has permanently exited American screens". In the film Driss (Omar Sy) is of Senegalese descent. Most French journalists do not understand such an interpretation and highlight the cultural issue that America has with anything linked to ethnicity.
What do you think? Have you seen it? Do you agree with the review? Is it a racist movie?

2 comments:

Maribel Pedraz said...

I really liked this movie, I think it's worth a lot. That so beautiful relationship between two people so different

Isabel said...

I could finally see Untounchable last Friday, and unlike the USA, I don't think it is a racist film at all.
I feel that it describes a nice meeting between two very different people, who establish a so human relationship, in which everyone shares only what he is. Their lives have a lot of limitations and possibilities.
I really liked both characters, their search of air to breathe is, in my opinion, what they have in common, and that's why they become friends.
A beautiful friendship without technical adaptations.